• Research where you’re going, check out impartial review sites for the hotels, nearby restaurants and activities of the area as well as checking the voucher sites for any great special offers. This will make sure that you get what you buy and don’t end up with a holiday from hell!
AVOID: Paying 5* rates for a tent, motorway view with nearby running water.
• Before you go, make a list of everything that you need to take and need to do before leaving. Tick this list off as you go and make sure it’s all done before you leave for peace of mind and no worries.
AVOID: “Did I leave the front door open and Kevin in his room?”
• Ask at the hotel’s front desk for advice and information. Front desk staff are there to help, whether you need directions or some ideas for your holiday then this is your first (and hopefully last) stop. Remember, these staff are the ones who usually book the activities for guests so are usually knowledgeable about the activities themselves and can sometimes get exclusive prices!
AVOID: Asking directions from some bloke on the street and ending up lost… again.
• Stay Safe! Keep your valuables under lock and key at all times, whether you keep them on your person during the day or place them in the hotel safe it’s better to be certain of their location! Trust me; there is nothing worse than frantically searching on the last day of your holiday for those car keys!
AVOID: Losing the car keys, house keys, map back home and the kitchen sink.
• Whether you’re on holiday for relaxation or adventure, nothing will spoil your mood and the holiday in general more than your email and mobile phone. Remember, you booked time off to enjoy yourself so why are you checking your email? Just turn off the phone and relax.
AVOID: Setting up an office on the beach, sand in the coffee… never good.
• Make sure you remember your holiday by taking those all important holiday snaps. Photos are a great way of remembering your holidays and showing the friends and family what you got up to. Try and take as many different photos as you can and get a few funny ones in too! Remember, don’t just take snaps of the holiday; photograph the journey too!
AVOID: Not having something to laugh at when you get home.
• Don’t forget the postcard! OK maybe not a postcard but don’t forget to buy some souvenirs for people back home. Top tip, take a good photo of the scenery or the family and make a custom postcard or picture in frame for the loved ones.
AVOID: The awkward silence when your Mum asks where her present is.
• A final thought to your holiday, leave a review for the hotel and restaurants you visited for the next guests. If you researched your holiday you would have relied on these reviews to build a picture of your trip, leaving a review of your own helps boost good businesses and helps others avoid the bad ones.
AVOID: Keeping your holiday just to yourself.
Martin Watson invites you to improve your golf game and enjoy your holidays at the Camelot Hotel in Bude, Cornwall. With friendly staff and a great location, this award winning hotel and restaurant has been the favourite of many golfing societies and their families. To see our newest offers and to find out more about us just click the link and look at our website: [http://www.camelot-hotel.com]
To see more great tips, why not sign up to our regular e-newsletter?